Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – International Affairs; Map-based Geography question
- On July 11, 25 years on, commemoration services were held at the Srebrenica-Potocari Memorial and Cemetery in remembrance of the victims of the massacre.
- In July 1995, approximately 8,000 Muslims, mostly men and boys were killed in Srebrenica, by Bosnian Serb forces led by Commander Ratko Mladić.
- These killings were later classified as genocide by international tribunals investigating the massacre.
Do you know?
- Srebrenica is a small town in Bosnia and Herzegovina in south-eastern Europe on Balkan Peninsula.
- The Bosnian War that occurred between 1992-1995, witnessed a period of displacement and ethnic cleansing of Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats by the Bosnian Serb army and paramilitary forces.
Pic: Balkan Peninsula