2. Accountability and transparency are the most important prerequisites for an ethical governance machinery? Do you agree? Substantiate your views with the help of suitable examples.
नैतिक प्रशासन तंत्र के लिए जवाबदेही और पारदर्शिता सबसे महत्वपूर्ण आवश्यकताएं हैं? क्या आप सहमत हैं? उपयुक्त उदाहरणों की सहायता से अपने विचारों को प्रतिस्थापित करें।
Demand of the question:
It expects candidates to express their views about whether Accountability and transparency are prerequisite in the ethical governance machinery or not. It also expects to substantiate the views with suitable examples.
Accountability and Transparency are broadly accepted as a major principle of good governance. Accountability means being answerable for the performance of tasks assigned to a person. Whereas Transparency allows stakeholders to collect information that may be critical to uncovering abuses and defending their interests. Likewise, transparency increases accountability of the Government officials.
Accountability and Transparency as prerequisite in governance:
- Accountability crucial concept in maintaining ethical governance machinery. Accountability means being answerable for the performance of tasks assigned to a person.
- Accountability necessitates the clear specification of tasks to be performed, the time frame and budget available for performing those tasks. Additionally, it is also important to be clear about the responsibility for performance of those tasks; person responsible and whether it is clear to them.
- For instance, Citizens Charter Bill 2011 aims at providing rights to citizens for time bound delivery of goods and services and provide a Grievance Redress Mechanism. Such a bill was previously recommended by the Second Administrative Reforms Commission.
- Lokpal and Lokayuktas aims at reducing corruption by setting up of a separate institution of Lokpal at the Central level and Lokayuktas at the State level. These organizations investigate cases of corruption against public servants in the respective Government organizations.
- E-Governance initiatives for providing an accountable administration include a framework for efficient handling of public grievances through the Centralised Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) which is already in place.
- Transparency is required to make the system of public service delivery effective.
- Transparency means that the criteria, process and systems of decision-making are openly known to all in a public manner. Citizens charter becomes an important measure for transparency in institutional setup.
- It allows ready information to the citizens in a manner that they may be able to claim their entitlements.
- For instance, The declaration of Right To Information Act (2015) set the stage for transparency in the functioning of the government and its various agencies. Under this Act, access to information from a public agency has become a statutory right of every citizen.
- Transparency is considered as a plane mirror which reflects govt. Workings, objectives, executive and legislative actions and government.
- Being a plane mirror, it depicts the core images of underlying fundamentals of accountability and the nature of governance which is prevailing.
- Major Initiatives to Enhance Transparency in India include – Right to Information Act, Public Services Bill, Citizens Charters, e-Governance, e-Bhoomi, e-Choupal, e-procurement.
However, sheer knowledge of what entitlements are, and who is responsible for fulfilling them, is not sufficient to ensure that public services are passably and effectively delivered to the ‘intended’ recipients.
- The governance involving transparency and accountability suffers from the weakness that disclosed Information’s Genuineness can also be dubious and Wrong Interpretation of available information can give detrimental results to an organization.
- Further, the abundance and availability of information means that the user needs skill to determine what it is that they want. The user of information has major role to play in affecting information sharing.
For the chariot of ethical governance machinery accountability and transparency prove to be the two wheels on which the chariot runs. If one goes down other will not function properly. Hence, Accountability and transparency form to be the prerequisite for an ethical governance of machinery.