Mission Karmayogi: Aims & Route
Topic: General Studies 2:
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive
- Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications
In News: One of the biggest bureaucratic reform initiative, the Union Cabinet approved ‘Mission Karmayogi’, a new capacity-building scheme for civil servants aimed at upgrading the post-recruitment training mechanism of the officers and employees at all levels.
Institutional Structure for Mission Karmayogi – – National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB)
- PM led Human Resource Council
- It will also include state Chief Ministers, Union Cabinet ministers and eminent national and global Academicians, thought leaders, Industry leaders
- This council will approve and review civil service capacity building programmes.
- Mandate of the Council includes:
- Apex body driving & providing strategic direction to the Programme
- Approves & Monitors Civil Service Capacity Building plan
- Reviews reports submitted by Capacity Building Commission
- Cabinet Secretary Coordination Unit
- It comprises of select secretaries and cadre controlling authorities, headed by Cabinet Secretary
- The primary function of this body is to monitor progress, and execution of plans.
- Capacity Building Commission: It will include experts in related fields and global professionals. The mandate of the commission are:
- To prepare annual Capacity building plans and seek approval from PM HR Council
- Audit human resources available in the government.
- Harmonize training standards and capacity building
- Create shared faculty and resources
- Supervisory role over all Central Training Institutions.
- Set norms for common mid-career training programs
- Undertake analysis of data from iGOT-Karmayogi
- Prepare the Annual HR Report on health of Civil Services and Target Achievements
- Wholly owned Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV)
- Legal: Company under Section 8 (of Companies Act) with 100% Government ownership
- Board of Directors: Representing all participating entities of the Programme
- Revenue Model: Self sustaining – Annual Subscription fee of INR 431 per employee
Key functions of SPV
- Own and operate the online Platform, iGOT Karmayogi on behalf of Government
- Operationalize a robust content ecosystem
- Manage assessment & certification eco-system
- Telemetry data based scoring – monitoring and evaluation
- Feedback assessment – driven by Artificial Intelligence & evolvable and scalable platform
- Curate & deliver programmes for capacity building of Civil Servants in other countries
- The SPV will own all Intellectual Property Rights on behalf of the Government of India.
iGOT- Karmayogi platform
- The Karmyogi Programme will be delivered by setting up an Integrated Government Online Training (iGOT) Karmayogi Platform.
- iGOT-Karmayogi is a continuous online training platform, which would allow all government servants from assistant secretary to secretary level to undergo continuous training, depending on their domain areas.
- Courses from international universities will be made available on the platform for officers to take any time
- The platform is expected to evolve into a vibrant and world-class market place for content where carefully curated and vetted digital e-learning material will be made available.
- Besides capacity building, service matters like confirmation after probation period, deployment, work assignment and notification of vacancies etc. would eventually be integrated with the proposed competency framework
Monitoring & Evaluation Framework of the mission
- Monitoring and evaluation of all users on the basis of Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Users include the individual learner (Civil Servant), the supervisor, the organisation, the peer group, the content creator and the technology service provider
- Prime Minister’s Dash Board: Real-time reporting of Capacity Building KPIs with Annual Score Cards and Rankings for Departments
- Capacity Building Plan- Annual Plans submitted by each Department aligned to National ambitions
- Annual State of Civil Services Report: Consolidated Performance of Civil Services as a whole in a year with focus on achievements & contribution to National Progress
- Independent Audits: Third Party Audit of Programme, in addition to regular Audit and Quality Assurance by Capacity Building Commission
Merits of the Mission
- Democratized Civil Service: This is a New National Architecture for Civil Services Capacity Building that will herald into Silo-less Performance. It would help augment the capacities of over two crore officials in India.
- Holistic: This is a Comprehensive reform of the capacity building apparatus at individual, institutional and process levels for efficient public service delivery.
- Competency driven HR Management policy: The mission ensures that right person with right competencies is at the right position
- Enhanced Accessibility: The mission enables Civil Servants to learn from the best institutions and practices across the world (through marketplace of iGOT platform)
- Increased Expertise The mission is Knowledge driven and aims at building competencies to transform Civil Servants into leaders and subject matter experts.
- Better Governance: Capacity of Civil Services plays a vital role in performing core governance functions. The mission will help make Civil Servant more efficient, effective, accountable and responsive to the needs of the citizen
- Leads to better Work Culture: The mission organically links the transformation of work culture and strengthening public institutions through adopting modern technology (iGOT Karmayogi platform) which lays emphasis on skills
- Professional Growth: It helps make available to all civil servants, an opportunity to continuously build and strengthen their Behavioral, Functional and Domain Competencies in their self-driven and mandated learning paths
- Uniform Approach: The mission will enable a uniform approach in managing and regulating the capacity building ecosystem on collaborative and co-sharing basis.
- Reduces the cost of training Civil Servants for both Centre & States, due to emphasis given on continuous online learning and shared ecosystem. Expenditure on foreign training will thence be cut down.
Connecting the Dots:
- Mission Karmayogi