MPs Suspended for unruly behaviour
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Parliament
- Eight Rajya Sabha MPs were recently suspended for unruly behaviour in the House.
Important value additions
- Rule Number 373 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business: It deals with the Power of the Speaker who, under his discretion, may direct MP to withdraw immediately from the House for the remainder of the day’s sitting.
- Rule 374: The Speaker may name a Member who disregards the authority of the Chair or abuses the rules of the House by persistently and wilfully obstructing the business thereof.
- Rule 374A: It is invoked by Speaker for automatic suspension of member of the House – for five consecutive sittings or the remainder of the session, whichever is less in the event of grave disorder occasioned by a Member
- Unlike the Speaker, the Rajya Sabha Chairman does not have the power to suspend a Member.