New Species of frog in Andaman found
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Biodiversity
- Recently a group of scientists has reported a new genus of treefrog from the Andaman Islands called Striped Bubble-nest frog.
Important value additions
Striped Bubble-nest frog
- Biological name: Rohanixalus vittatus
- It belongs to the genus of the Old World treefrog family Rhacophoridae.
- This is the first report of a tree frog species from the Andaman Islands.
- They are also known as Asian Glass Frog or see through frogs
- The female (mother) attends the egg clutches until hatching and assists in release of the tadpoles into the water.
- A large number of egg clutches (over 50) of different developmental stages may be found on a single leaf or plant.
- Multiple females usually attend such clutches in a behaviour termed as ‘community’ egg attendance.
- Frequent male-male combats involving pushing, kicking and dislodging to mate with a female were also reported.