Place in news: Tigray region, Ethiopia
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Ethiopia is on the brink of a civil war after Ethiopia’s Prime Minister announced that he had ordered troops to counter an allegedly violent attack by armed forces in the country’s northern Tigray region.
Important value additions
- The Tigray Region is the northernmost of the nine regions (kililat) of Ethiopia.
- It is the homeland of the Tigrayan, Irob and Kunama peoples.
- It is also known as Region 1 according to the federal constitution.
- Capital and largest city: Mekelle.
- It is bordered by Eritrea to the north, Sudan to the west, the Amhara Region to the south and the Afar Region to the east and south east.
Do you know?
- In early November 2020, the region and the Ethiopian federal government entered into conflict, with some gunfire being reported in the capital of Tigray, Mekelle.
- There was conflict in September also, when Tigray held local elections in insubordination of the Ethiopian federal government.
- These elections were considered “illegal” by the federal government, further leading to conflict with Tigray authorities.