First National Achievement Survey (NAS)
Part of: Prelims and GS-II – Education
Context The first National Achievement Survey (NAS) in four years was conducted recently.
- Objective: To assess the competencies of children in Class 3, 5 and 8.
- Implication: This will help to assess the learning interruptions and new learnings during the COVID pandemic and help to take remedial measures.
- Since, schools across the country were closed for 18 months from March 2020, and the vast majority of students did not have any access to remote education, the NAS is expected to reveal the level of learning losses caused by the shutdown.
- The survey test was conducted in language, mathematics and environmental studies in Classes 3 and 5 and language, mathematics, science, and social science in Class 8.
- The test was developed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), which will also analyse the results, while the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducted the test.