World’s most sophisticated MRI facility
Part of: Prelims and GS-III – Sci and tech
Context Recently, the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology launched first of its kind, world’s most sophisticated MRI facility at the National Brain Research Centre (NBRC), Manesar Haryana.
- NBRC is an autonomous institute funded by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
About new MRI facility
- With this facility, India embarks on new frontiers of human Neuroscience
- This new facility can run intense scanning modalities very fast, which reduces the scanning time for patients
- It can detect and quantify highly sensitive receptors and antioxidants from the brain which has a direct link with onset of various brain disorders like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and psychiatric disorders.
- Also, heavy metal deposition in the brain due to pollution or many other factors can be quantified as necessary
What is Magnetic Resonance Imaging(MRI)?
- MRI is a medical imaging technique used in radiology to form pictures of the anatomy and the physiological processes of the body.
- MRI scanners use strong magnetic fields, magnetic field gradients, and radio waves to generate images of the organs in the body.
- MRI is the most frequently used imaging test of the brain and spinal cord.