Crosses the 100 Million Mark
- Kandla, officially Deendayal Port, is a seaport and town in Kutch district of Gujarat state, located on the Gulf of Kutch.
About Gulf of Kutch
- An inlet of the Arabian Sea along the west coast of India, in the state of Gujarat
- Divides Kutch and the Kathiawar peninsula regions of Gujarat; the Rukmavati River empties into the Arabian Sea nearby. Gulf of Khambhat lies in south and the Great Rann of Kutch is located in north of the gulf.
- Renowned for extreme daily tides thus, making it a region with highest potential of tidal energy generation.
- Is referred to in the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, a travelogue written in about 50 CE, as the Gulf of Baraca
- One of the four major coral reef areas – the first coral garden will be set up near Mithapur in the Gulf of Kutch
- Facing incidences of coral bleaching
- Bleached corals are likely to have reduced growth rates, decreased reproductive capacity, increased susceptibility to diseases and elevated mortality rates]
- Coral bleaching and associated mortality not only have negative impacts on coral communities, but they also impact fish communities and the human communities that depend on coral reefs and associated fisheries for livelihoods and wellbeing.
- Coral colonies provide a source of food and shelter for countless reef-associated organisms and their health is of critical importance to the ecology of the reef community.
- Dugong (Vulnerable), also called the sea cow, is found here
- Issues being faced: Extraction of corals and sands by cement industries, increased turbidity of water, oil refineries, chemical industries and mechanized fishing boats.
News Source: PIB