Asia’s Largest Tribal Festival commences: Medharam Jathara
Part of: Prelims
- To honour the Hindu Tribal goddesses
- Celebrated in the state of Telangana at Medaram village of Mulugu district
- This Jatara is known for witnessing one of the largest people gatherings in the world.
- According to a tribal story, in the 13th century some tribal leaders who went for hunting found a new born girl (Sammakka) emitting enormous light and playing amidst tigers. She was taken to their habitation. The head of the tribe adopted her and later she became the saviour of the tribals of that region.
- Devotees offer jaggery equal to their weight as thulabaram (weighing scale) or as thanksgiving in fulfilment of their vows.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…