For Previous TLP (ARCHIVES) – CLICK HERE
SYNOPSIS [18th February,2022] Day 19: IASbaba’s TLP (Phase 1): UPSC Mains Answer Writing (General Studies)
1. Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. Elucidate.
Candidates need to write about the attitude and then elucidate how attitude matters though being little things or mental construct it makes big difference.
Attitude can be defined as learned tendency to evaluate things in a certain way. This can include evaluations of people, issues, objects, or events. It also involves a set of emotions, beliefs, and behaviours toward a particular object, person, thing, or event. Attitudes are often the result of experience or upbringing, and they can have a powerful influence over behaviour.
- Having a appropriate attitude makes one confident about herself and this in long term not only helps an individual but to all those who are associated with her.
- Example- Mahatma Gandhi held a strong negative attitude towards violence, this helped us gain independence without any violence thereby saving lives and making strong foundation for Indian constitution.
- One may have high IQ and a sharp logical mind but without the right attitude, both are rendered useless.
- Example- A bureaucrat posted in riot-sensitive area may be very good in management and thinking logically. But she can take precautionary measures and keep things in control only when she has a positive attitude towards all the religions.
- A person with positive attitude sees even failure as possibility of having something better. Positive attitude towards difficult situations makes one resilient.
- Example- 12 boys along with their coach could stay in Thai cave for days without food just because they had positive attitude towards life.
- An attitude based on values and beliefswill act according to the values. For example in India touching feet of elders is guided by attitude of giving respect to them.
- To Protect self-esteem or that justify actions that make people feel guilty. For example, children might defend themselves against the feelings of humiliation they have experienced adopt a defensive attitude.
Life will always happen to one as it happens to everybody but one’s attitude will determine how far one gets in life. Thus right attitude can lead to big things to showing zero tolerance toward corruption, pro-poor, welfare for weaker sections, listening to public grievances.
2. Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Do you agree? Substantiate with the help of suitable examples.
Students are expected to write about the character and attitude also highlight how weakness of attitude has reflection on character. Substantiate the arguments with suitable examples.
Attitude refers to the way you think about a situation and the way you approach it. Character, though, is what makes you act the way you do. Attitude and character are two words that appear similar in sense . Attitude is influenced and driven by our temperament, character and personality. Character could be described as, you when no one is looking, or the sum of your habits.
- Your attitude towards life and your response to a certain situation builds up your character.
- Weakness in attitude or in other words having a negative attitude weakens your character. Similarly negative attitude lead to negative behaviour.
- For example, if a person have a negative attitude towards women, he will discriminate women in all fronts of life.
- One will have to focus on self and learn about virtues and how they correspond to life. This is how you can have a strong attitude which will ultimately help you to build a strong character.
- Civil servants are the face of any government. Their attitude towards the citizenry becomes a reflection of the state. A positive attitude is considered to be an essential characteristic of a civil servant who is often required to function under extreme stress. It helps for example improving his/her problem-solving abilities and improving his/her decision-making skills.
- One must be humble when he has won a match. And if you lose it, then you must smile and congratulate your opponent and be more motivated and determined for the next match. This type of positivity in your attitude will help you to build a strong character.
- Selfish attitude will guide individual’s action in same manner. For example cricketer who put his self interest and profit above the nation, will take money to loose the game.
- Attitude is one of the main factors that trigger emotions, decision-making, thinking and behaviour in an individual which leads to character building.
- For example Only if the citizens of a country have a positive attitude towards cleanliness, campaigns such as Swatch Bharat Mission (Clean India Mission) will succeed.
- Logic or rational attitudes develop a rational character. For example rational person will not act superstitiously and will always try to find rational behind any act. Will not believe unscientific things.
Attitude plays a vital role in Shaping Mind-set and Personality character of an Individual. It is thus been rightly said ” Attitude is a Little thing that makes a big difference.” Attitude forms a vital component of an individual’s character by manifesting itself in form of thought, behaviour and emotion.
3. Two things define you: your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything. Comment.
Candidates need to comment on how two things define a man: his patience when he has nothing and his attitude when he has everything.
The real question of life includes questions such as “Who are you?” How are you defined and how do you define yourself? t’s hard to know in the quiet times. It is only when things get rough that we really find out who we are and of what we are made. The quote given above singles out two specific situations for consideration.
Two things define you: your patience when you have nothing and your attitude
when you have everything
- Two things define you. The first is how patient you can be when you have nothing. When you have nothing, you will, obviously, have quite a few needs.
- How patiently can you wait for that which you need? Can you, or do you get agitated and make a fuss?
- The second situation in the quote is what your attitude is when you have everything. When you have everything, you need nothing, and by extension, no one.
- This is a test of how you treat people when you don’t have any need to be kind or helpful. Will you be nice, or will you be an obnoxious (something)?
- These two situations help mark the boundaries within which you reside. We have all had situations where we had a great need.
- That was a test of who you were at that point in time. The same for the times when we had all we needed (for that moment, and in that aspect of our lives.
- By keeping track of how we respond in trying situations, we can better judge where we need to improve ourselves. Remember, tests, even the ones at school, aren’t there to tell you that you are a failure. They exist to test you and find out what you know.
- If you use tests as they were intended and measure your progress and probe for weaknesses, you can continue to grow and become better at whatever the test is measuring.
- Without tests, we would never know. How patient is you? How kind are you? Both in the easy times and in the trying times. How else can you measure yourself? How would you define yourself? How would you measure that aspect of your life?
- Once you have been tested, all you have to do is figure out what went right and what needs improvement.
Testing in your mind is one tool, but you will need real tests from time to time, as you can get some unexpected results. You may find under stress; you don’t behave exactly as you thought you might. Emotions can do that to a person. Even if you don’t do anything with the information, life is always testing you. You might want to take advantage of this information and plan your next step. We all have things we want to improve, or at least know that we should improve. Why not give it a try?