Place in news: Weddell Sea
Part of: Prelims
Context: Scientists say they have found the sunken wreck of polar explorer Ernest Shackleton’s ship Endurance, more than a century after it was lost to the Antarctic ice.
- The vessel lies 3,000 meters below the surface of the Weddell Sea.
About Weddell Sea
- Weddell Sea is part of the Southern Ocean and contains the Weddell Gyre. Its land boundaries are defined by the bay formed from the coasts of Coats Land and the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Various ice shelves, including the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf, fringe the Weddell sea.
- Some of the ice shelves on the east side of the Antarctic Peninsula had completely disappeared by 2002.
- The Weddell Sea has been deemed by scientists to have the clearest water of any sea.
News Source: TH