Economics, Economics, Social Issues
- Prelims – (Economy and Society)
- Mains – GS-2 (Social Justice and e-governance)
Why in News: Union Labour and Employment Ministry said that the Ministry was working on a mechanism to process accident insurance claims by unorganised workers registered on the e-Shram portal
e – shram portal
- The portal was launched with the aim of creating a national database of unorganised workers (NDUW)
- Ministry of Labour & Employment is responsible for the implementation
- e-Shram Card: Workers will be provided with an e-SHRAM card which will have a 12 digit unique number.
- The details of workers will also be shared by the state government and departments.
- Single window: This will be a single-point reference to help authorities reach out to and track workers in the informal sector, and offer welfare in times of crisis.
- Who all are included: The database will include construction workers, migrant workers, gig and platform workers, street vendors, domestic workers, agriculture workers, migrant workers and similar other sub-groups of unorganised workers.
- Self enrolment: It will be available in public for open access where workers can self-enroll through Aadhaar and mobile numbers.
- Important Provision: Accidental insurance – After registering, he/she will get an Accidental Insurance cover of 2 Lakh
The scheme would allow the workers to get the direct benefit transfer (DBT) through the e-Shram unique ID number
- Till October 2021, 15 crore registrations are made
- Men to women ratio:02% of the registered workers were women and the remaining 49.98% were men.
- Age Group: Around 65.68% of these registered workers are in the age group of 16-40 years and 34.32% are in the age group of 40 years and above
- Dominant Sector: The largest number of workers registered are from agriculture and construction, given the sheer volume of these two sectors in employment generation in India
Source: The Hindu
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…