Environment & Ecology, Geography
In News: This year, for the first time in its centuries-long history, Iraq Lake Sawa dried up
- A combination of mismanagement by local investors, government neglect and climate change has ground down its azure shores to chunks of salt.
- Sawa Lake is an endorheic basin located in the Iraqi governorate of Muthanna near to the Euphrates River
- This lake has no inlet or outlet, but it draws water from the Euphrates through a system of joint cracks and fissures which transport water to aquifers beneath it.
- The water’s level fluctuates during dry and wet seasons
- Sawa Lake is characterized by arid climate
- Because of its saline water, no plants grow in the lake or on its shores. Fish and algae are the most important aquatic organisms.
Source: India Today
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Which of the following has/have shrunk immensely/dried up in the recent past due to human activities? (2018)
- Aral Sea
- Black Sea
- Lake Baikal
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 2 only
- 1 and 3 only
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…