In News: China takes over as biggest importer of Indian broken rice
- China emerged as the top buyer of Indian rice during the pandemic, with the import of 7.7 per cent — of India’s total rice export in financial year 2021-22
- The analysis shows that out of China’s total rice import from India of 16.34 LMT, nearly 97 per cent was broken rice, which has seen a spike in demand from that country.
- Thus making China the top buyer of Indian broken rice, which was earlier, exported mostly to African countries.
Rice exports of India
- In 2021-22, India’s total rice exports — both basmati and non-basmati — was 212.10 LMT, which is 19.30 per cent higher than 177.79 LMT exported in 2020-21
- Of India’s total rice export in 2021-22, basmati rice accounted for 39.48 LMT, which was 14.73 per cent lower than 46.30 LMT exported in 2020-21.
- Non-basmati rice accounts for the lion’s share in the basket of Indian rice exports.
- During 2021-22, export of rice other than basmati was 172.62 LMT, which was 31.27 per cent higher than 131.49 LMT in 2020-21.
Reasons for import by China
- The reason for this increase in export of broken rice to China is the higher demand of rice for making noodles and wine in that country.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Among the following, which one is the largest exporter of rice in the world in the last five years? (2019)
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…