Environment & Ecology
In News: To end illegal mining, Madhya Pradesh plans to make it legal in parts of Chambal sanctuary
- To free its forest department from devoting too much time, resources, and efforts in fighting illegal mining in the National Chambal Sanctuary, the Madhya Pradesh government has proposed to open 292 hectares for mining in five stretches on Chambal and its tributary Parvati rivers.
- Sand mining has been banned in the sanctuary since 2006.
- Opening up the five stretches would minimise the conflict with illegal miners, gain local support, and fetch revenue from royalty, one-fourth of which could be used to strengthen protection measures.
- Additionally, the proposal sought to make the contractors of the soon-to-be legal quarries responsible for checking illegal mining on adjacent sanctuary land four times their leased areas, failing which their leases would be terminated.
National Chambal sanctuary
- The National Chambal Sanctuary was set up in 1979 as a riverine sanctuary along an approximately 425 km length of the Chambal River and its ravines stretching over 2-6 km wide along the river.
- National Chambal Sanctuary is the main area for the species reintroduction programmme of the crocodilian species Gavialis gangeticus (Gharial)
- National Chambal Sanctuary is lying in three states of Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- Chambal supports the largest population of Gharials in the wild
- One of the few places to spot the Platanista gangetica – Gangetic Dolphins.
- Chambal is one of the cleanest rivers in the country.
- The National Chambal Sanctuary is listed as an important bird area
- Chambal supports more than 320 resident and migrant birds.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) With reference to India’s Desert National Park, which of the following statements are correct? (2019)
- It is spread over two districts.
- There is no human habitation inside the Park.
- It is one of the natural habitats of Great Indian Bustard.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Q.2) If you want to see gharials in their natural habitat, which one of the following is the best place to visit? (2017)
- Bhitarkanika Mangroves
- Chambal River
- Pulicat Lake
- Deepor Bed
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…