In News: Russian troops intend to capture Zaporizhzhia, a large city in the country’s (Ukraine) southeast, which would allow the Russian military to advance closer to the centre of the country.
- In the south of Ukraine, Russia has already seized the large Ukrainian cities of Kherson and Mariupol.
- The Zaporizhzhia region, with the population of 1.6 million, is one of the biggest industrial hubs of Ukraine’s southeast.
- The city itself has 722,000 people.
In News: More than 100 days after Russia began its invasion of Ukraine, it is the strategic eastern city of Sievierodonetsk that remains in the focus
- Located nearly 140 km south of the Russian border, Sievierodonetsk is one of the largest cities of the Donbas region.
- It is located near the left bank of the Siverskyi Donets River, and has a population of over a lakh.
- It is a big industrial hub known for chemical works and machine-building factories.
- Russia aims for complete liberation of Donbas. When Russia talks about ‘liberating’ Donbas, it broadly refers to controlling Ukraine’s eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.
- If the city of Sievierodonetsk falls, then it will allow Russia to control the entire Luhansk region.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs: (2022)
Regions in News Country
- Anatolia – Turkey
- Amhara – Ethiopia
- Cabo Delgado – Spain
- Catalonia – Italy
How many pairs given above are correctly matched?
- Only one pair
- Only two pairs
- Only three pairs
- All four pairs
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…