- Russia claimed to have captured the strategic Ukrainian city of Lysychansk and the entire frontline Luhansk region.
- The gains claimed by Russia would mark a decisive breakthrough for Moscow’s forces seeking control of eastern Ukraine.
- Lysychansk had been the last major city in the Luhansk area of the Donbas still in Ukrainian hands and its capture would signal a deeper push into the eastern region
- The heaviest Russian shelling was reported in the region
- Russia accused Ukraine of firing three cluster missiles at the city of Belgorod, near the Ukrainian border.
- Belgorod, city and administrative centre of Belgorod oblast (region), western Russia.
- Located near the Russia-Ukraine border, Belgorod lies along the upper Donets River where it is crossed by the Moscow-Kharkiv (Ukraine) and Sumy–Donets Basin railways.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs: (2022)
Regions in News Country
- Anatolia – Turkey
- Amhara – Ethiopia
- Cabo Delgado – Spain
- Catalonia – Italy
How many pairs given above are correctly matched?
- Only one pair
- Only two pairs
- Only three pairs
- All four pairs
Q.2) Consider the following pairs: (2018)
Regions sometimes mentioned in the news Country
- Catalonia – Spain
- Crimea – Hungary
- Mindanao – Philippines
- Oromia – Nigeria
Which of the pairs given above are correctly matched?
- 1, 2 and 3
- 3 and 4 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 2 and 4 only