In News: Tribal woman in Madhya Pradesh’s Guna district set ablaze over land dispute.
- Rampyari Bai belongs to the Saharia tribe that comes under the particularly vulnerable tribal groups (PVTGs).
- The Sahar, Sehariya, or Sahariya is an ethnic group in the state of Madhya Pradesh and some districts of Rajasthan.
- They are classified as particularly vulnerable tribal groups.
- The Sahariya community considers every adult member part of a governing council which is headed by a patel.
- The Sahariyas are expert woodsmen and forest product gatherers.
- They are particularly skilled in making catechu from Khair trees.
Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)
- PVTGs are more vulnerable among the tribal groups.
- In 1973, the Dhebar Commission created Primitive Tribal Groups (PTGs) as a separate category, who are less developed among the tribal groups.
- In 2006, the Government of India renamed the PTGs as PVTGs.
- PVTGs have some basic characteristics – they are mostly homogenous, with a small population, relatively physically isolated, absence of written language, relatively simple technology and a slower rate of change etc.
- Among the 75 listed PVTG’s the highest number are found in Odisha.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following statements about Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) in India: (2019)
- PVTGs reside in 18 States and one Union Territory.
- A stagnant or declining population is one of the criteria for determining PVTG status.
- There are 95 PVTGs officially notified in the country so far.
- Irular and Konda Reddi tribes are included in the list of PVTGs.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
- 1, 2 and 3
- 2, 3 and 4
- 1, 2 and 4
- 1, 3 and 4