Released by: World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- On the top: Switzerland has emerged as the world’s most innovative economy for the 12th consecutive year. Leads on innovation outputs, and specifically in patents by origin, software spending, high-tech manufacturing and production and export complexity.
- The second position was secured by the United States (US) followed by Sweden, the United Kingdom (UK) and the Netherlands.
The rankings were based on the areas of:
- Human and capital research
- Business sophistication
- Technology outputs
India: Secured the 40th position in the Global Innovation Index.
- This is the first time the country entered the top 40. Last year, India was at the 46th position.
- India is the innovation leader in the lower middle-income group, and continues to lead the world in ICT services exports and holds top rankings in other indicators, including venture capital receipt value, finance for startups and scaleups, graduates in science and engineering, labour productivity growth and domestic industry diversification.”
Source: Hindustan Times