Context: The rapid and unselective use of traditional antibiotics gives rise to the emergence of drug resistant phenotype in typhoidal and non-typhoidal Salmonella serovars, which has increased the difficulties in curing Salmonella-induced food-borne illnesses (majorly typhoid or paratyphoid fever, gastroenteritis, and diarrhoea) worldwide.
About Salmonella Typhimurium:
- It is often associated with animals and animal products that are eaten.
- Salmonella Typhimurium can be transferred to humans through raw or undercooked infected food including meat and eggs.
- Salmonella Typhimurium causes gastroenteritis (inflammation of the gut).
- Salmonella typhimurium ST313, an invasive non-typhoidal Salmonella serovar, causes bloodstream infection in the malnourished and immunocompromised population of sub-Saharan Africa.
- Recent studies have reported the emergence of multi-drug resistant (MDR) phenotype in Salmonella tphimurium DT104, which causes infection in humans and cattle.
- The continuous adaptation of this bacteria to the available antibiotics creates a risk of developing antimicrobial resistance in the future.
- Salmonellosis is an infection with a bacteria called Salmonella.
- Salmonella live in the intestinal tracts of animals, including birds.
- Salmonella are usually transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal faces.
- Contaminated foods are often of animal origin, such as poultry, pork, beef, poultry, milk, or eggs, but all foods, including vegetables may become contaminated.
- Thorough cooking kills Salmonella.
- Commonly infected foods include:
- Raw meat, poultry and seafood
- Raw or undercooked eggs
- Unpasteurized dairy products
- Fruits and vegetables
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Which one of the following statements best describes the role of B cells and T cells in the human body? (2022)
- They protect the environmental allergens. body
- They alleviate the body’s pain and inflammation.
- They act as immunosuppressants in the body.
- They protect the body from the diseases caused by pathogens.
Q,2) In the context of hereditary diseases, consider the following statements:
- Passing on mitochondrial diseases from parent to child can be prevented by mitochondrial replacement therapy either before or after in vitro fertilization of the egg.
- A child inherits mitochondrial diseases entirely from the mother and not from the father.
Which of the statements given above is’/are correct? (2021)
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2