In News: The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has paid tributes to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji on the sacred occasion of Parkash Purab of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji:
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji was (January 5, 1671 – 21 October, 1708) born “Gobind Rai” at Patna Sahib, Bihar, India
- He was the tenth and last of the Gurus of Sikhism.
- He became Guru at the age of nine, following the martyrdom of his father, the ninth Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji (killed by Aurangzeb).
- He was a divine messenger, a warrior, a poet, and a philosopher
- He moulded the Sikh religion into its present shape with the institution of the Khalsa fraternity in 1699
- He completed the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, in the final form that we find today.
- Before leaving his mortal body, Guru Gobind Singh decreed the Guru Granth Sahib Ji as the next and perpetual Guru of the Sikhs.
- He is variously revered as Sarbans Dani (the merciful donor, who sacrificed his all), Mard Agamra (man without any parallels), Shah-e-Shahenshah (emperor of emperors), Bar do Alam Shah (ruler of both worlds), amongst others.
- He was a linguist familiar with Persian, Arabic, and Sanskrit as well as his native Punjabi.
- He further codified Sikh law, wrote martial poetry and music, and was the reputed author of the Sikh work called the Dasam Granth (“Tenth Volume”)
- The autobiography of Guru Gobind Singh is called Vichitra Katha
- Veer Bal Diwas is celebrated to smark the martyrdom of sons of Sri Guru Gobind Singh – Sahibzadas Baba Zorawar Singh Ji and Baba Fateh Singh Ji
MUST READ veer-bal-diwas
Previous Year Question
Q.1 ) Consider the following Bhakti Saints: (2013)
- Dadu Dayal
- Guru Nanak
Who among the above was/were preaching when the Lodi dynasty fell and Babur took over?
- 1 and 3
- 2 only
- 2 and 3
- 1 and 2