In News: Families in the coastal pockets of Odisha‘s Ganjam district have been eking out a living by preparing aromatic kewda oil for years, and a recent growth in demand has put a smile on their faces.
- The price per litre of kewda oil was Rs 4.5 lakh last year
- Every year, kewda farmers, flower sellers and oil makers earn around Rs 50-60 crore.
Ganjan kewda oil
- Ganjam kewda (Pandanus fascicularis) oil is steam-distilled from the flower of the aromatic screwpine plant
- Pandanus or screwpine plant grow along seacoasts and in marshy places and forests of tropical and subtropical regions, especially in Asia, Africa, and Oceania.
- It is used as an aromatic in the food industry and other sectors.
- It is registered under the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 by the Government of India.
- The flower is harvested from around 5,000 hectares in the district.
- Its oil is produced in Ganjam, Chatrapur, Chikiti and Rangeilunda blocks of the district
- For around 200,000 people living in 220 villages of the district, it is the main source of income.
- The farmers and collectors receive an advance from Ganjam’s oil makers who buy the flowers from them during June to September — the harvesting season.
- Kewda oil makers sell to Kannauj, Agra, Kanpur, New Delhi, Mumbai and other places at around Rs 5 lakh a litre
- There is a Fragment and Flavour Development Center (FFDC) extension unit at Berhampore, Ganjam under the Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- Flower producer groups eliminated the role of middlemen and provided proper marketing facilities.
- FFDC is also training oil makers and helping them purchase modern equipment to start distilling units through the government-managed District Industry Center
- It is used in food, zarda (flavoured tobacco) and pharmaceutical companies
Previous Year Question
Q.1) With reference to ’palm oil’, consider the following statements: (2021)
- The palm oil tree is native to Southeast Asia.
- The palm oil is a raw material for some industries producing lipstick and perfumes.
- The palm oil can be used to produce biodiesel.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
- 1 and 2 Only
- 2 and 3 Only
- 1 and 3 Only
- 1, 2 and 3