Context: A rare species of duck, Greater Scaup, locally known as Sadangman, was recently sighted in Manipur’s Loktak lake after a gap of over 90 years.
About Greater Scaup Duck:
- The Greater Scaup is a medium-sized diving duck species that belongs to the family of Anatidae.
- It is locally known as
- The greater scaup species is distributed in Asia, Europe, United States and Canada.
- It is a rare visitor to the Indian Subcontinent.
- Scientific Name: Aythya marila
- IUCN Red list: Least Concerned
About Loktak Lake
- Loktak Lake is a freshwater lake in the Manipur state of Northeast India.
- It hosts hundreds of floating islands called Phumdis with multiple plant species and Keibul Lamjao National Park, the only floating national park in the world.
- The park is the last natural refuge of the endangered Sangai (state animal).
- The lake is designated as a wetland of international importance under the Ramsar Convention on 23 March 1990.
- It was also listed under the Montreux Record in 1993, “a record of Ramsar sites where changes in ecological character have occurred, are occurring or are likely to occur”.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
- Hokera Wetland Punjab
- Renuka Wetland Himachal Pradesh
- Rudrasagar Lake Tripura
- Sasthamkotta Tamil Nadu
How many pairs given above are correctly matched? (2022)
- Only one pair
- Only two pairs
- Only three pairs
- All four pairs
Q.2) Which of the following is not a bird? (2022)
- Golden Mahseer
- Indian Nightjar
- White Ibis