In News: Public hearing on the environment clearance (EC) for Mali Parbat Bauxite Mining by Hindalco Industries in Korapaut on January 7, 2023 was presided over by the district judicial officer.
- Around 2,000 people from the local communities attended the hearing on January 7 and 80-90 of them raised objections to granting EC to Hindalco. Around 90 per cent of the people from the local communities opposed the EC.
Mali Parbat Bauxite mine:
- It is located in Pottangi tehsil of Koraput district of Odisha.
- The bauxite mined out from the Maliparbat mine will be used in existing Hindalco’s Alumina refineries located at Renukoot (Uttar Pradesh), Muri (Jharkhand) & Belgaum (Karnataka).
- Some rivers near the mine are Kukurhaghat Nala, Kunduli Nala and Kolab River.
- Hindalco Industries is one of the leading producers of aluminium in the country. The company business involves bauxite mining to alumina refining.
- Hindalco Industries was granted EC for an area of 268.110 hectares of Maliparbat bauxite mine in 2006.
Bauxite mining in India:
- India is rich in bauxite reserves – 3,896 million tonnes as in 2015.
- About 77% resources are of Metallurgical grade.
- There were 157 reporting mines in 2016-17 out of which 56 are major mines.
- The share of Public Sector mines was about 31 % of the total production in 2016-17
- Many indigenous and tribal people live near the mines, which shows the quantity of bauxite in India.
What is Bauxite?
- The raw material of aluminium is known as bauxite ore.
- It is generally found in the region close to laterite rocks.
- Laterite rocks are commonly found in the peninsular and coastal regions – plateaus and hill ranges.
Uses of bauxite ore:
- Bauxite is used as a primary ingredient in making aluminium – It consists of 80% of bauxite. It is used to convert into aluminium and make aluminium products.
- It is also used as a corrector. In the case of any dent or damage, bauxite ore is used in the steel industry to repair the damage.
- Bauxite is also used in the industries of rubber, water purifying machines, plastic, paper making, etc.
The distribution of Bauxite ore in India :
- Bauxite ore is mainly found in the peninsular, coastal and hill ranges.
- Odisha (51%)
- Andhra Pradesh (16%)
- Gujarat (9%)
- Jharkhand (6%)
- Maharashtra (5%)
- Tamil Nadu
- Madhya Pradesh
- Odisha is the largest bauxite ore-producing state.
- The popular mines of bauxite lie in Odisha’s districts of Sambalpur, Kalahandi, Sundargarh etc.
- There are two famous bauxite ore mines in Odisha – Panchpatmali mines and Gandha Mardan