Context: Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs recently has approved an investment of Rs 2,614 crore for 382 MW Sunni Dam Hydro Electric Project in Shimla and Mandi districts.
About the project:
- It is a run of the river type development proposed to harness the hydel potential of river Satluj.
- It aims to provide various benefits to local suppliers/ local enterprises/MSMEs.
- It is part of the Luhri project, which is designed to comprise three hydropower dams;
- Luhri Stage-I (210 MW),
- Luhri Stage-II (163 MW), and
- Sunni dam (382 MW).
- It will be governed by Indus water Treaty signed between India and Pakistan in 1960.
- This is because the project lies in Satluj basin, which is a part of Indus Basin.
- Its objective to produce as much energy as possible, with minimum cost and fewer negative impacts on the environment.
Benefits of the project:
- It will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 1.1 Million tons annually
- Encourage entrepreneurship opportunities
- Promote employment and socio-economic development of the region.
- Aid in fulfilling peak electricity demand and the growing energy deficit in the Northern Region.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
Reservoirs : States
- Ghataprabha : Telangana
- Gandhi Sagar : Madhya Pradesh
- Indira Sagar : Andhra Pradesh
- Maithon : Chhattisgarh
How many pairs given above are not correctly matched? (2022)
- Only one pair
- Only two pairs
- Only three pairs
- All four pairs