History and Art and Culture
Context: Recently, For the first time, a mega event celebrating the region — the Kalyana Karnataka Utsav, is being organized by the Government of Karnataka
About Kalyana Karnataka Utsav:
- The Kalyana Karnataka Utsav is been organized by the Government of Karnataka.
- It is the first time, a mega event celebrating the region is being organized.
- Seven districts including Bidar, Raichur, Yadgir, Koppal, Kalaburagi, Vijayanagara, and Ballari are participating in the grand festival.
- The theme is focused on educational development and heritage.
About Monuments at Kalaburagi :
- Kalaburagi is a place that housed several Sufi saints who lived to build communal harmony and teach humanity.
- The region was home to the 12th-century social reformer Basavanna, the 14th-century Sufi Khwaja Bandanawaz Gesudaraz, and the 19th-century saint Sharana Basaveshwara.
- The region, which was ruled by the Maurya’s, Rashtrakutas, Chalukyas, Bahmani’s, and Nizams, still holds much rich cultural heritage and wonders like
- The Bahmani fort consists of a large Jama Masjid and one of the world’s longest cannons.
- the Haft Gumbaz, where the Bahmani kings were buried.
- The tomb of Firoz Shah Bahmani which is particularly well-known for its ornamentation with stucco-work and black stone carvings on the doors and windows.
- The Syed Khalilullah Husseini dargah complexwhich was inspired by Bahmani and Adil Shahi architecture.
- There is also a small tomb of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb’s daughter carved with white marble.
- The palaces of the last two Nizams, Mir Mahbub Ali Khan and his son Mir Osman Ali Khan are also located in the heart of Kalaburagi city and have a high influence of the Gothic style of structures with the addition of the architectural style of local Patel homes.
Muhammad bin Yusuf Al-Hussaini,
- commonly known as Banda Nawaz Gaisu Daraz, was a HanafiMaturidi scholar and Sufi saint from India of the Chishti Orde
- was a 12th-century philosopher, statesman, Kannada poet, and social reformer during the reign of the Kalachuri-dynasty king Bijjala I in Karnataka, India.
- He spread social awareness through his poetry, popularly known as Vachanaas.
- Basavanna rejected gender or social discrimination, superstitions, and rituals.
- He presided over the Sharana movement which attracted people from all castes.
- He is the first Kannadiga in whose honour a commemorative coin has been minted in recognition of his social reforms.
- He introduced new public institutions such as the Anubhava Mantapa, that welcomed men and women from all socio-economic backgrounds to discuss spiritual and mundane questions of life, in open.
Taj-ud-din Firoz Shah
- also known as Firuz Shah Bahmani was the ruler of the Bahmani Sultanate from 1397 to 1422.
- Firuz Shah is considered an important ruler of the Bahmani Sultanate.
- He enlarged his realm and even conquered the Raichur Doabfrom the Vijayanagara kings.
- Mahboob Ali Khan was the youngest son of 5th Nizam Afzal-ud-Daulah.
- Mir Osman Ali Khan was the last Nizam of Hyderabad, a princely state in British India, and the second richest man in the world in his time.
Source: THE DECCAN HERALD
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) With reference to the cultural history of India, consider the following pairs: (2020)
- Parivrajaka — Renunciant and Wanderer
- Shramana — Priest with a high status
- Upasaka — Lay follower of Buddhism
Which of the pairs given above are correctly matched?
- 1 and 2 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Q.2) With reference to the religious practices in India, the “Sthanakavasi” sect belongs (2018)
Q.3) With reference to India’s culture and tradition, what is ‘Kalaripayattu’? (2014)
- It is an ancient Bhakti cult of Shaivism still prevalent in some parts of South India
- It is an ancient style bronze and brass work still found in the southern part of the Coromandel area
- It is an ancient form of dance-drama and a living tradition in the northern part of Malabar
- It is an ancient martial art and a living tradition in some parts of South India
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…