Environment & Ecology
Context: Recently, Aztec hummingbirds were spotted in India.
About Aztec hummingbirds:
- The name means a ray of the sun.
- It is a hummingbird native to the American continent.
- It is also known as the Aztec hummingbird, there exist 350 species of this bird.
- They can beat their wings up to 50 times per second creating a humming sound.
- They can fly backward.
- They prefer Tubular flowers that are bright red or orange (such as lantana and rhododendron).
- They have very long hand bones but very short arm bones that are connected to the body through flexible ball-and-socket joints.
- These joints allow the wings to rotate after each half-stroke, permitting backward flight.
- The purple sunbird, one of its types is commonly found in India.
- They have the highest metabolic rate (calories burnt per minute) among vertebrates.
Source: THE HINDU
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Which of the following is not a bird?
- Golden Mahseer
- Indian Nightjar
- White Ibis
Q.2) Consider the following animals (2021)
To reduce the chance of being captured by predators, which of the above organisms rolls up/roll up and protects/protects its/their vulnerable parts?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 only
- 3 only
- 1 and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…