TOPPER’S STRATEGY: Anya Das, Rank 60 UPSC CSE 2018-IASbaba’s ILP Student! With Special Emphasis on PRELIMS STRATEGY!
“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And be one traveller long I stood.. “
- Only constant thing I did was reading newspapers
- I followed a sectional approach. Chunk of the prelims preparation was done after May and GS preparation was done primarily after prelims.
- I began my Optional Sociology only after prelims, spending around 2 and half hours everyday in optional coaching class.Its syllabus is comparatively less and therefore I could complete it in three months time.
- I could not complete the syllabus but due to my decent writing skills and Essay marks- 162 and decent Optional score -267, I could sail through
I have mentioned more about Prelims Strategy @ the end of this Post
Since Prelims is round the corner, I would like to emphasis what to do in the next 1 month
I am sure you all must be working hard at this point to crack this holy grail.The 2018 Prelims Paper was a challenge. Although I cleared prelims with 112 marks, after giving the paper I was not sure that I will clear this exam. Prelims paper has become quite challenging because-
The right approach for prelims invariably includes frequent and multiple revisions and practicing tests.I am providing few tips which I think will be helpful
- Master the static portion-Economics, Polity,history must be read multiple times. Revise Laxmikant, Spectrum many times) the question on exports from Bengal in the middle of 18th century which included cotton, Silk saltpetre ,opium,can be found in Spectrum
- Focus on Science and Technology -Last year this section had high number of questions from IRNSS to GM Mustard. While reading Science and Technology, focus on the facts is also important .Eg-Area covered by IRNSS satellite
- Tackling Polity-In polity, understand the concepts clearly. eg-difference between a constitutional and legal right(2017)
- Acing Environment-This part has become tricky as direct questions from the book are less. Focus on-National parks, environment organisations, reports,wetlands,UNESCO world heritage sites. Few pages at the back of Shankar IAS environment book will be immensely helpful. Focus on certain topics such as international organisations, reports, North East flora fauna, Andaman Nicobar , rivers, GI tags, Western Ghats,government schemes, which have been a hot favourite of UPSC.
- Diligently solve test papers and analyse it. IASBaba’s 60 days tests will be quite helpful. I used to read the test syllabus and then attempt the test. I then made a note of my mistakes.This helped to prepare areas which I hadn’t prepared earlier-eg defence assets of India
- Summarize and shorten your notes-It will help in revising just a few days before the exam.For polity, I pasted sticky notes in the Laxmikant to have crisp,short notes.
- One week before the exam, give mocks at the same time during which Prelims exam will be conducted. It will condition your brain to be most efficient during that period.
- Number of questions to attempt-There are many candidates who attempt above 90 questions and clear prelims. I attempted 73 questions this time and still cleared the exam by getting 112. Practise during the mocks to know your attempt threshold.
- Attempting the paper -In the first round solve the questions which you know well .In the second round solve the questions which you are less sure of. Go for the third round to solve remaining questions.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :