Topic: General Studies 1 & 2:
- Urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
COVID-19: Challenges faced by Migrant Workers
In the crisis caused by COVID-19 pandemic, some of the worse challenges are faced by the inter-state migrant workers.
Do You Know?
- The cost of the lockdown is pegged at around $120 billion (nearly ₹9 lakh crore) or 4% of the GDP.
- The lockdown will effectively put over 45 million migrants, working on daily basis, out of work.
Problems of Inter-State migrant worker
- Sudden announcement of lockdown left them unprepared for it.
- Contrary and uncoordinated government orders caused confusion (Ex: Delhi migrants)
- Dire situation with no work, money or food
- Harassment at the hands of house owners
- Lack of political voice due to their migrant status
- Anxiety about the survival of their families back home
- Physical distancing for the unorganised sector is difficult in India given the realities of high density human settlements (Ex: slums)
- All the above factors lead to their mass exodus from urban areas to their homes often by foot due to suspension of Transport facilities.
- Making arrangements for travel to their home towns is not advisable as there is a danger of spread of virus to rural areas where health infrastructure is meagre.
- People will stay where they are, only if real support is provided.
- School buildings, community halls and stadiums can serve as temporary shelters for migrants (Karnataka model)
- Food grains from excessive buffer stocks to be supplied to these centres.
- Self-managed community kitchens to be set up
- Adequate safety training and safety gear needs to be provided to those housed in temporary shelters
Thus, there needs to be a plan of action based on compassion and understanding of conditions on the ground.
Connecting the dots:
- Other vulnerable sections of society & problems faced due to lockdown
- Migrants causing the demand for reservation of jobs for local people – legislations passed by State governments like AP, Maharashtra – Critically Analyze
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :