Railways start Shramik Special Trains to move migrant workers and other stranded persons
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Disaster Management; Infrastructure (Railways)
- As per the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs, “Shramik Special” trains shall start running from May 1 (Labour Day).
- The trains shall move migrant workers, pilgrims, tourists, students and other persons stranded at different places due to lockdown which is in force due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- These special trains will run from point to point on the request of both the concerned State Governments as per the standard protocols for sending and receiving such stranded persons.
- The passengers shall be screened by the sending states.
- Passengers who are found asymptomatic (showing no symptoms) would be allowed to travel.
- Passengers shall be brought to the railway station in batches in sanitized buses while maintaining strict social distancing norms by the sending state governments.
- It will be mandatory for every passenger to wear face cover.
- Meals and drinking water would be provided.
- On arrival at the destination, passengers will be received by the State Government, who would make all arrangements for their screening, quarantine if necessary and further travel from the Railway Station