World Drug Report and UNODC
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II and III – Role of international organizations; Security issues
According to the latest World Drug Report of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) –
- India in top five (fourth position) in terms of seizure of opium in 2018.
- Opium seizure – Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan were the top 3 countries.
- India was at the 12th position in the world in terms of heroin seizure.
- Heroin seizure – Iran, Turkey, United States, China, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Global area under opium poppy cultivation declined for the second year in a row in 2019.
- Despite the decline in cultivation, opium production remained stable in 2019, with higher yields reported in the main opium production areas.
- Asia is host to more than 90% of global illicit opium production and the world’s largest consumption market for opiates.
- Asia accounted for almost 80% of all opiates seized worldwide in 2018.
- Outside Asia, the largest total quantity of heroin and morphine was seized in Europe (22% of the global total in 2018).
Do you know?
- Heroin is manufactured from the morphine extracted from the seed pod of opium poppy plants.
- Opium is illicitly produced in about 50 countries.
- However, close to 97% of the total global production of opium in the past five years came from only 3 countries.
- 84% of the total opium was produced in Afghanistan.
- Myanmar accounts for 7% of the global opium production, and Laos accounted for 1% of the opium production.
- Mexico accounts for 6% of the global opium production, while Colombia and Guatemala account for less than 1% of global production.
Pic: Opium Cultivation
Important Value Additions
About United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- UNODC is a United Nations office that was established in 1997.
- It is a member of the United Nations Sustainable Development Group.
- The office aims long-term to better equip governments to handle drug-, crime-, terrorism-, and corruption-related issues.
- These are the main themes that UNODC deals with: Alternative Development, anti-corruption, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform and Crime Prevention, Drug Prevention, -Treatment and Care, HIV and AIDS, Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling, Money Laundering, Organized Crime, Piracy, Terrorism Prevention.