The State of Young Child in India
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Social issues & GS-II – Health
- Indian Vice President recently released ‘The State of Young Child in India’ report.
- It is a comprehensive account of the challenges related to early child development in India.
- Prepared by: Mobile Creches. It is a policy advocacy organisation which works with the underprivileged children across India.
- Out of 159 million children aged below 6 years in India, 21% are undernourished, 36% are underweight and 38% do not receive full immunization.
- Huge returns on investment in Early Childhood Development (ECD) at the individual, household and country levels were also reported.
- Top performers: Kerala, Goa, Tripura and Tamil Nadu.
- States with scores below the national average – Assam, Meghalaya, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.