Virtual Summit between India and Italy held
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- A Virtual Bilateral Summit between Indian Prime Minister and Italian Prime Minister was held recently.
- The rapid growth in India-Italy relationship in recent past was appreciated.
- On regional and international issues, both sides agreed to coordinate closely at multilateral fora especially G-20.
- Italy will assume the Presidency of G-20 in December 2021 followed by India in 2022.
- Together, India and Italy will be part of the G20 Troika from December 2020.
- India welcomed Italy’s decision to join ISA as soon as the ratification process is completed.
- 15 MoUs/Agreements in various sectors such as energy, fisheries, ship building, design etc. were signed coinciding with the Summit.
- Both countries are keen to firmly put behind the 2012 killing of two Indian crew members of a fishing boat off the coast of Kerala by Italian marines
Do you know?
- Italy is currently India’s fifth largest trading partner in the EU.
- Bilateral trade was worth 9.52 billion Euros in 2019.
- India ranks 16th as country of origin for Italian imports.