Place in news: Cape of Good Hope
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Geography & GS – III – Economy
- With $200 billion of India’s trade flows with Europe, North America and South America at risk due to the blockage of the Suez Canal, the Department of Commerce is planning re-routing shipments through the Cape of Good Hope.
Important value additions
- The Cape of Good Hope is a rocky headland on the Atlantic coast of the Cape Peninsula in South Africa.
- A common misconception is that the Cape of Good Hope is the southern tip of Africa.
- Contemporary geographic knowledge instead states the southernmost point of Africa is Cape Agulhas.
- When following the western side of the African coastline from the equator, however, the Cape of Good Hope marks the point where a ship begins to travel more eastward than southward.
- Cape Agulhas is a rocky headland in Western Cape, South Africa.
- It is the geographic southern tip of the African continent and the beginning of the dividing line between the Atlantic and Indian Oceans.