ICDS Survey in Jharkhand
Part of: GS Prelims and GS – II – Issues related to children
In news: According to a recent survey, more than 55% did not receive Supplementary Nutrition under Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) in Jharkhand even once in the first six months of 2021.
Vulnerability of Jharkhand
- As per National Family Health Survey-4 data, every second child in the state is stunted and underweight and every third child is affected by stunting and every 10th child is affected from severe wasting and around 70% children are anemic.
What is Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)?
- It is centrally sponsored scheme launched in 1975.
- Implemented by: Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It is an umbrella scheme under which Six Schemes operate
|Anganwadi Services Scheme:||
|Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana:||
|National Creche Scheme:||
|Scheme for Adolescent Girls:||
|Child Protection Scheme:||
What are the Objectives of ICDS?
- To improve the nutritional and health status of children in the age-group 0-6 years.
- To lay the foundation for proper psychological, physical and social development of the child.
- To reduce the incidence of mortality, morbidity, malnutrition and school dropout.
- To achieve effective coordination of policy and implementation amongst the various departments to promote child development.
- To enhance the capability of the mother to look after the normal health and nutritional needs of the child.
- To facilitate, educate and empower Adolescent Girls (AGs) so as to enable them to become self-reliant and aware citizens.