Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana
Part of: Prelims and GS – II – policies and interventions
Context Recently, the Ministry of Railways launched Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana (RKVY) under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY).
What is Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana (RKVY)?
- This is a skill development programme, where training will be provided to youth with a special focus on jobs that are relevant to the Railways.
- The training will be provided in four trades viz. Electrician, Welder, Machinist and Fitter and other trades will be added by zonal railways and Production units based on regional demands and needs assessment.
- Training will be provided to apprentices under the Apprentice Act 1961.
- To impart training skills to the youth in various trades to bring qualitative improvement.
- To train 50,000 candidates over the next three years.
- Eligibility: Candidates who are 10th passed and between 18-35 years shall be eligible to apply.
- Significance: It will not only improve the employability of the youth but also upgrade the skills of employed.
What is Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana?
- Launched in 2015, it is a flagship program of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
- Aim: To mobilize youth to take up skill training with the aim of increasing productivity and aligning the training and certification to the needs of the country.
- Key Components:
- Short Term Training: Training as per National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF) is provided to those who are either school/college dropouts or unemployed.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL): An individual with a certain set of skills or with prior learning experience is assessed and certified under RPL with grade according to the NSQF.
- Special Projects: This component ensures training in special areas and premises of government bodies and corporate. It aims to encourage training in vulnerable and marginalized groups of society.
- Training Partners (TPs) are mandated to organize Kaushal and Rozgar Melas every six months