Plant Discoveries 2020: The Botanical Survey of India
Part of: Prelims and GS III – environment
Context The Botanical Survey of India, in its new publication Plant Discoveries 2020 has added 267 new taxa/ species to the country’s flora.
- An assessment of the geographical distribution of these newly discovered plants reveals that 22% of the discoveries were made from the Western Ghats.
About Botanical Survey of India (BSI)
- It is the apex research organization under the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEFCC)
- It carries out taxonomic and floristic studies on wild plant resources of the country.
- It was established in 1890
- It has nine regional circles
- Headquarter: Kolkata, West Bengal.