1. Objectivity is an important pillar of journalistic ethics. Do you agree? Substantiate your views. (10 Marks)
निष्पक्षता पत्रकारिता नैतिकता का एक महत्वपूर्ण स्तंभ है। क्या आप सहमत हैं? अपने विचारों की पुष्टि करें।
Candidates need to write about the journalistic ethics and how objectivity will be important pillar of it is to be addressed with substantiating views.
Journalistic ethics are basically a set of principles, standards, guidelines and code of conduct prepared for professional journalists. It deals with conduct, character and behaviour of a journalist and how he/she works before, during and after the news gathering and dissemination process.
Objectivity in journalism:
- Objectivity means that when covering hard news, reporters don’t convey their own feelings, biases or prejudices in their stories.
- The absence of objective journalism leads to the false presentation of truth in a society which affects the perception and opinions of people.
- In India instances of violation of ethical norms and principles; from indulging in Paid News, spreading Fake News, engaging sensationalism and exaggerating trivial stories, creating misleading headlines, breach of privacy, distortion of facts has increased manifold it give the sense of losing objectivity.
- As observed in the case of Cambridge analytica case, the biased news coverage on social media platform affected the Presidential elections in the U.S.
- Openly taking sides and bias in reporting. Besides this, many mainstream news media outlets and their journalists are found to be engaging in one-sided media trials, lobbying for personal gains, blackmailing, manipulating news stories, engaging in malicious and defamatory reporting, running propaganda and disinformation campaigns.
- For example Media’s ugliest moment, however, was its coverage of the news surrounding Delhi’s Tablighi Jamaat Markaz (meeting).
- Objectivity apply not only to how a reporter writes about an issue but to how they conduct themselves in public. A reporter must not only be objective but also convey an image of being objective and fair.
- With the advent of social media, technological changes, the reach of media has grown profoundly. Its reach and role in impacting public opinion have made it even more important to ensure its objectivity, non-partisanship calls for the enforcement of and as important pillar of journalistic ethics.
- Objectivity is not always possible, and may not always be desirable (in the face for example of brutality or inhumanity), but impartial reporting builds trust and confidence.
In developing countries like India, the media have a great responsibility to fight backward ideas such as casteism and communalism and help the people in their struggle against poverty and other social evils. Hence, having journalistic ethics in place with core principle of objectivity truth accuracy becomes very important.