Ethics Theory, GS 4, TLP-UPSC Mains Answer Writing
2. Emotional intelligence is your ability to recognise and understand emotions in yourself and others, and your ability to use this awareness to manage your behavior and relationships. Illustrate the significance of the given statement for public administration. (10 Marks)
भावनात्मक बुद्धिमत्ता आपके और दूसरों में भावनाओं को पहचानने और समझने की आपकी क्षमता है, और आपके व्यवहार और संबंधों को प्रबंधित करने के लिए इस जागरूकता का उपयोग करने की आपकी क्षमता है। लोक प्रशासन के लिए दिए गए कथन के महत्व को स्पष्ट कीजिए।
Students are expected to write about Emotional intelligence and as per questions demand illustrate the significance of EI with recognition and understanding of one and others emotions in public administration.
Emotional intelligence refers to the capability of a person to manage and control his or her emotions and possess the ability to control the emotions of others as well. In other words it is the assimilation of the head (cognitive abilities) and heart (emotion).
EI generally said to include three skills:
- Emotional awareness, including the ability to identify your own emotions and those of others;
- The ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problems solving;
- The ability to manage emotions, including the ability to regulate your own emotions, and the ability to cheer up or calm down another person
Significance of EI in public administration:
- Understanding the need of the public: For instance, the government came up with PM-KISAN just when the growth of agriculture sector was low and there existed rural distress. There is understanding of genuine demands and requirements of people with emotional connect.
- Effective Decision Making- While delivering or implementing the welfare schemes there is resistance among a group of people or even political pressures, but how he effectively manages to curb all that stress to finally overcome and deliver success needs emotional intelligence.
- Selection on the basis of Eligibility: Targeting the right people is the utmost priority for a civil servant. Therefore being emotionally headstrong is fundamental to this idea as emotionally weak may succumb to pressure and therefore compromise his position.
- Managing his team: An emotionally intelligent administrator would be very effective in managing his team.
- For instance, Abhishek Pallava IPS Officer in Naxal hit area has a very strong team with him which has achieved tremendous success in the respective region. Even the officials of his department reach out to him when in need to effectively come out of their problems. This overall, improves their functioning in service delivery in the area.
- Strong Motivation: For instance, with good emotionall intelligence, the administrator can motivate people to use toilets more-often within their homes rather than defecating in the open, this would improve the health and cleanliness of the whole region.
Understanding and handling one’s own and others’ emotions is a critical aspect at every stage of the service delivery task: engagement, assessment, observation, decision making, planning and intervention. It is also an essential skill for administrator who need to ‘develop and maintain a practice which is self-aware and critically reflective.
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…