2. With the help of suitable examples, discuss the applications of nanotechnology in the field of medicine. (10 Marks)
उपयुक्त उदाहरणों की सहायता से चिकित्सा के क्षेत्र में नैनो प्रौद्योगिकी के अनुप्रयोगों की चर्चा कीजिए।
Students are expected to write about the nanotechnology and simply write application of nanotechnology in the medicine field.
Nanotechnology is science, engineering, and technology conducted at the nanoscale, which is about 1 to 100 nanometers. It is a field of research and innovation concerned with building ‘things’ – generally, materials and devices – on the scale of atoms and molecules.
- Drug delivery: Nanomaterials have been introduced to the therapy of multiple diseases, including drug delivery system and nanodrugs. Drug delivery is one of the typical applicliposomes Nanomaterials in medicine. For example, tumor targeting, imaging and drug delivery can be accomplished by administrated gold nanoparticles and nanorods, iron oxide nanoworms and drug loaded liposomes.
- Stem cells: The application of nanotechnology has opened a new realm in the advance of regenerative medicine. The development of nanotechnology offers more opportunities of applying stem cells in the regeneration of tissues and organs.
- Implantation: Nanotechnology has also found applications in tissue and implant engineering. The possibility to enhance the surface area of the material and to tune the roughness of its surface at the nanometric scale should yield better biological responses of osteogenic cells and effective mechanical contact between tissue and implant.
- Imaging In vivo imaging is another area where tools and devices are being developed. Using nanoparticle contrast agents, images such as ultrasound and MRI have a favourable distribution and improved contrast.
- Antibacterial treatment: Researchers are developing a technique to kill bacteria using gold nanoparticles and infrared light. This method may lead to improved cleaning of instruments in hospital settings.
- Medical Device: Neuro-electronic interfacing is a visionary goal dealing with the construction of nanodevices that will permit computers to be joined and linked to the nervous system.
Advancement in the field of nanotechnology and its applications to the field of medicines and pharmaceuticals has revolutionized the twentieth century. A nanotechnology is a valuable tool for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of human diseases. The medical area of nanoscience application has many projected benefits and is potentially valuable for all human races.