Strengthening of Pharmaceutical Industry (SPI)’ scheme
Part of: Prelims and GS-II Health and GS-III Economy
Context: Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers on Friday released guidelines for ‘Strengthening of Pharmaceutical Industry (SPI)’ scheme.
- The scheme aims to address rising demand in terms of support required to existing Pharma clusters and MSMEs across the country to improve their productivity, quality and sustainability.
- The Centre has assigned an outlay of ₹500 crore for the period from fiscal FY 21-22 to FY 25-26.
Key highlights of the scheme:
- financial assistance to pharma clusters will be provided for the creation of Common Facilities to improve the quality and to ensure the sustainable growth of clusters.
- To upgrade the production facilities of SMEs and MSMEs so as to meet national and international regulatory standards.
- support for clusters for creation of common facilities with the focus on R&D Labs, Testing Laboratories, Effluent Treatment Plants
- The units supported under this scheme is expected to act as Demonstration Firms for the pharma clusters and MSE Pharma Industries, to develop on quality and technology up-gradation fronts.
News Source: Livemint