Criminal Procedure Bill
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
Context: The Lok Sabha recently passed the Criminal Procedure (Identification) Bill, 2022, by voice vote.
- It seeks to repeal the Identification of Prisoners Act, 1920.
- It allows the collection, storage and analysis of physical and biological samples, including retina and iris scan of the convicted, arrested and detained persons.
- During the debate on the Bill, the Opposition members expressed concern over the issue of data protection, possible misuse of the proposed law, violation of the citizen’s right to privacy and other fundamental rights.
- One of the opposition members highlighted that the Bill was violating Articles 14, 19 and 20 (3) and 21 of the Constitution.
- Its implications on civil liberties and human rights were enormous and would have far-reaching consequences
News Source: TH