1. One of the key components of the strategy to counter the threat emanating from a China-Pakistan axis is to strengthen border infrastructure. Do you agree? Substantiate your views. (10 Marks)
चीन–पाकिस्तान अक्ष से उत्पन्न होने वाले खतरे का मुकाबला करने की रणनीति के प्रमुख घटकों में से एक सीमा अवसंरचना को मजबूत करना है। क्या आप सहमत हैं? अपने विचारों की पुष्टि करें।
Candidates need to highlight threats related to China and Pakistan and highlight on China Pakistan axis. Also write about the importance of Border security infrastructure to tackle the China Pakistan axis.
Relationship between China and Pakistan developed over the 1970s and ’80s. Countering India was one of the key pillars. It opens a two-front war possibility for India to tackle it India should strengthen its security apparatus on borders.
Threat to India’s security ecosystem on borders:
- Pakistan is able to sustain cross-border terrorism despite a domestic Balance of Payments crisis, using Chinese funds and material (including Chinese-made grenades).
- They’re able to combine their efforts in destabilizing border management by exploiting open & porous borders with Myanmar and Bangladesh.
- Passing of CPEC through POK affects the sovereignty and territorial integrity of India.
- Pakistan is all set use BeiDou for both military purposes on borders, ending their dependence on the US-based Global Positioning System.
Strengthening border infrastructure to tackle China Pak axis:
- Border road infra helps in maintaining peace and stability by controlling the security concerns related to inter-region and intra-region issues.
- Creating infrastructure: India is also constructing some critical bridges to cut down time for troop movement such as Dhola – Sadiya bridge.
- India has joined hands with Japan to aggressively develop infrastructure projects in North east to contain China.
- To increase capability tender for purchase of six Border Surveillance Management Systems (BSMS) to cater to the needs of Indian Army’s peace time requirements for countering the infiltration attempts from Pakistan.
- BOLD-QIT is a project to install technical systems under the Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS), which enables the BSF to equip Indo-Bangla borders with different kinds of sensorsin the unfenced riverine area of Brahmaputra and its tributaries.
- The UAVs and other surveillance gadgets already under installations have significantly reduced the incidents taking place due to human error.
- The mini UAVs are also intended to carry out reconnaissance in Jammu and Kashmir for counter insurgency along with the LoC with Pakistan and the Line of Actual Control with China.
The traditional approach to border management on Pakistan and China borders, i.e. focussing only on border security, has become inadequate. India needs to not only ensure seamlessness but with the adoption of new technologies for border control and surveillance and the development of integrated systems for entering, exchange and storage of data, will facilitate the full proof border security without endangering security personnel and internal security of India.