Part of: Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
Context: The Supreme Court has confirmed that the grant of 10.5% internal reservation to Vanniyakula Kshatriya community violates the fundamental rights of equality, non-discrimination and equal opportunity of 115 other most backward communities (MBCs) and de-notified communities (DNCs) in Tamil Nadu.
What is Vanniyar Movement?
- Vanniyars are one of the largest and most consolidated backward communities in Tamil Nadu.
- They had raised massive protests in the mid-1980s demanding 20% reservation in the state, and 2% in central services.
- During agitation from September 17 to 23, 1987, many protesters were killed.
- Split of OBC quota: In 1989, the OBC quota was split into two: Backward Castes and Most Backward Castes.
- Vanniyars were categorised among the MBCs with 107 other communities, with 20% reservation.
- Three decades later, the state government passed a Bill, and the current government has implemented it with a Government Order ensuring 10.5% reservation for Vanniyars within the 20% MBC quota.
News Source: TH