Environment & Ecology, Geography
In News: It was found in Meghalaya
- Recorded simultaneously in Mizoram, the snake has been named Maya’s Pit Viper after the deceased mother of an Army officer, one of seven authors of a study on it.
- The name of the pit viper, recognised as Trimeresurus mayaae, is also believed to allude to Maya, meaning the supernatural powers, or the illusion related to local legends.
- The new species was relatively common in Meghalaya, Mizoram and even in Guwahati
- In a country where around 1.2 million people have lost their lives owing to snakebite and many more have lost their limbs in the last two decades, a discovery of a new venomous snake means a lot in the context of public health
Previous Year Questions (PYQs)
Q.1) Consider the following statements: (2019)
- Some species of turtle are herbivores
- Some species of fish are herbivores
- Some species of marine mammals are herbivores
- Some species of snakes are viviparous
Which of the statement given above are correct?
- 1 and 3 only
- 2, 3 and 4 only
- 2 and 4 only
- 1, 2, 3, and 4
Source: The Hindu
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…