In News: The Agriculture Ministry unveiled India’s first Covid-19 vaccine for animals.
- Developed by the Hisar-based National Research Centre on Equines, the vaccine, called Ancovax, can protect animals against the Delta and Omicron variants of SARS-CoV-2.
- This is the first Covid-19 vaccine for animals developed in India.
- There were reports from Russia last year that that country, too, had developed a vaccine against animals such as dogs, cats, minks, and foxes.
HOW IT WORKS
- Ancovax can be used in dogs, lions, leopards, mice, and rabbits.
- It is an inactivated vaccine developed using an infectious part of the Delta variant.
- In addition, it uses Alhydrogel as an adjuvant to boost the immune response.
- There have been reports of Covid-19 infection in several animals, including dogs and cats.
- The vaccine can protect animals in the zoo.
- The animals develop similar symptoms to humans – cough, cold, fever, and lung lesions
- It can also prevent transmission from companion animals to the humans
- The aim of the vaccine is to protect endangered animals
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) What is the importance of using \ Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines in India? (2020)
- These vaccines are effective against pneumonia as well as meningitis and sepsis.
- Dependence on antibiotics that are not effective against drug-resistant bacteria can be reduced.
- These vaccines have no side effects and cause no allergic reactions.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 only
- 1 and 2 only
- 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Source: Indian Express