In News: Prime Minister of India inaugurated the Fédération Internationale des ÉchecsFrench (FIDE) or International Federation of Chess’s 44th Chess Olympiad in Chennai.
- Noting that the most prestigious tournament in chess had for the first time come to India – the home of chess – during the 75th year of freedom from colonial rule, PM said there had never been a better time for sport in India than the present.
- It was only for the first time in three decades the tournament was being organised in Asia with the participation of the highest number of players and teams.
- The Chess Olympiad is a biennial chess tournament in which teams representing nations of the world compete.
- FIDE organises the tournament and selects the host nation.
- Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, FIDE held an Online Chess Olympiad in 2020 and 2021, with a rapid time control that affected players’ online ratings.
- The use of the name “Chess Olympiad” for FIDE’s team championship is of historical origin and implies no connection with the Olympic Games.
Source: The Hindu