In News: Myanmar’s military government hosted the first high-level regional meeting since the Army took power last year with China’s Foreign Minister and counterparts from Mekong Delta nations.
- The delegations met at the Lancang-Mekong Cooperation group meeting held under the theme “Solidarity for Peace and Prosperity” in the central city of Bagan, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- China is Myanmar’s biggest trading partner and an old ally.
- Beijing has invested billions of dollars in Myanmar’s mines, oil and gas pipelines and other infrastructure and is its major arms supplier, together like Russia.
- Lancang-Mekong Cooperation is a multilateral format established in 2016 for cooperation between the riparian states of the Lancang River and Mekong River.
- The Lancang is the part of the Mekong that flows through China.
- Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam and Thailand are five downstream countries of the Mekong River.
- The central purpose of the format is for China to manage water flow from its hydropower dams with the other riparian states.
- LMC Special Fund was created in 2016 to aid in small and medium-sized projects by the Lancang-Mekong countries.
Source: Times of India
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) In the Mekong-Ganga Cooperation, an initiative of six countries, which of the following is/are not a participant/ participants? (2015)
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- 1 only
- 2, 3 and 4
- 1 and 3
- 1, 2 and 5