- The worst drought Italy has faced in 70 years is thirsting paddy fields in the river Po valley and jeopardizing the harvest of the premium rice.
- Italy’s largest river is turning into a long stretch of sand due to the lack of rain, leaving the Lomellina rice flats — nestled between the river Po and the Alps — without the necessary water to flood the paddies.
- The lack of rainfall has brought governors of various Italian regions to declare a state of emergency in order to conserve water and coordinate the management of minimal resources.
- The region’s main water sources, the rivers Po and Dora Baltea, are eight times lower than the average seasonal levels.
Po River Basin
- The Po River is the longest river in Italy (661 km)
- It originates from Pian del Re of Monte Viso, and flows eastward till the Adriatic Sea near Venice
- The basin population is close to 17 million inhabitants, almost 1/3 of the population of Italy.
- The main land use of the Po plain is intensive agriculture.
- Two Russian missiles slammed into a crowded shopping centre in the central Ukrainian city of Kremenchuk
- Russian forces struck targets in the Mykolaiv region of southern Ukraine and intensified attacks on fronts across the country as NATO members met in Madrid to plan a course of action against the challenge from Moscow.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following pairs: (2020)
River Flows into
- Mekong – Andaman Sea
- Thames – Irish Sea
- Volga – Caspian Sea
- Zambezi – Indian Ocean
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched?
- 1 and 2 only
- 3 only
- 3 and 4 only
- 1, 2 and 4 only